Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Great Boat Handling Questions

Some of you have asked me some great questions lately. I decided to post them all here. Keep asking!


When you're wiggling, should you bother trimming the jib when turning down or is it slower to let it rag?

Depends on the goal and the speed of the boat behind you. If you are wiggling to slow down, then rag. If you are wiggling to try to hook the guy behind, use the jib to control your speed.

When flattening in light air with the bunny hop (and you have to get back down to leeward), should you flatten more on the side and keep one leg raised to hop down or something else?

In light air, I tend to hop up on both feet and then drop back down into the boat with one foot on each side of the centerboard trunk. On a day like yesterday, it's a definite just hop up and drop down.


On the R-R jibes I remember you saying something about weighting the rail, popping the jib, then rolling. Where does that main crossing and skipper flattening come in? It seemed like the later we flattened (or today, when my skipper flattened) the higher we were pointing and more speed we had, is that okay in a race or should our jibes be faster but with less power?

That's good in light air. You'll have to adjust depending on the conditions. The main should come across with the roll. In light air, you can even stay down after it comes all the way across. If it's nuking, then you would obviously come across sooner with no roll.

I was watching the gybing video Roy posted and I noticed that the crew never actually "sat" on the windward tank to roll the boat, she just rolled off the shroud. Do you want crews to roll off the tank or off the shroud?

I usually had you come to the rail and sit because it got your weight to windward sooner to help carve the boat through the gybe. Personally, I grab the hiking strap and pull to roll. When that video was filmed, kinetics was not as big of an issue. I wonder about the legality of gybing off the shrouds like that now. They are definitely effective gybes, and you could certainly give it a shot. I'm only curious about the kinetics question.

No comments: